Thursday 23 April 2009

EUROVISION - PEELY & HUTCHIE FAE DUNDEE

Another John Peel memory with a wee Dundee link I can recall, comes from the late 80's.
Peely was involved in covering the Eurovision Song Contest for radio which this particular year was the turn of Switzerland or Sweden to host.
During the programme he interviewed a guy called David Hutchison, who, although I can't remember his exact role, was one of the main organisers of the event. As the interview went on, I suddenly had the feeling that I recognised the voice, and thought it sounded like "Hutchie", a guy who used to live around the corner from me in Craigie, and who was in my class at Balerno as well as Craigie High. I remembered my mum knew his mum, so I asked her, the next time she saw Hutchie's mum, see if she could confirm it was David on the radio. It turns out it was him and he had been involved behind the scenes in the Eurovision contest for quite a while. His mum also revealed the extra info that David got paid £24 a minute for the Peel interview. A nice little earner!!
If you happen to read this, David, feel free to drop some details into the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment