Wednesday 25 March 2009

THE TUFTY CLUB

It's getting a bit on the rusty side now, but here's the original Tufty Club badge from the 60's.
The Tufty Club's road safety campaign started up in 1961. To help promote it they had Tufty teams visit schools, including mine, Balerno Primary, and dished out badges & booklets.
The Tufty Club has another link with Dundee, although not related, this being the name that was given to an under 14's disco they had in the early 70's at the JM Ballroom. I never heard of any kids being run over on their way to the disco, so at least all that 60's road sense paid off!
I remember even into the 80's when there was an under 14's disco at the Barracuda on Sunday afternoons, that too was referred to as the Tufty Club, but I think by then it was a patronising term spouted by older clubbers, rather than by those who went there.
And as a wee reminder of what triggered it all off, here's the original tv ad below.

5 comments:

  1. I was a member of the tufty club.It must have worked , because i am still here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...and I still have my Tufty Club badge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Tufty club member, still got my badge too. I also remember the JM Ballroom discos known as the Tufty club too. It was on a Tuesday night if I remember rightly but I'm sure it used to be under 16's not under 14's but I may be wrong, must have been 1973 or 1974 they stopped if my memory is not playing tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going to the Tuesday night Tufty club at the J.M. With my dad who was the singer in the house band and seeing other bands such as the Black Diamonds, Bay City Rollers and Criss Mc Clure and I think that was in the late 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I PLAYED THERE IN THE SIXTIES WITH A GROUP CALLED DANNY & THE DEMONSTRATORS FROM ARBROATH WE WERE RESIDENT AT THE TUFTY CLUB AFTER THE BLACK DIAMONDS LEFT OUR MANAGER WAS RONNIE COBURN WE HAD SOME GREAT NIGHTS THERE WITH MURDY WALLACE MET HIM YEARS LATER WHEN HE WAS WORKING WITH TONY CHRISTE

    ReplyDelete