Friday 12 December 2008

THE INN AT THE QUAY - 1982

Dundee's "floating pub" was a very short lived novelty. In business only for a few months in 1982. The Balmoral (the boats former name) was modified to become The Inn At The Quay around spring 1982 and it sat at Craig Pier, beside the Leisure Centre. It was a good wee pub to visit in the summer months because you could sit out on deck and take in the warm lighty nights. Everytime I was there it was always a young crowd on board and I'm fairly sure it had dj's on at weekends. The funnel had an image of a "key" on it which was a wee bit of visual humour - key/quay. You could say it was an INN joke..!!
I remember in August that year, I arrived back in town after a 4 week tour of France and as soon as I stepped out of the rail station, the Quay was the first place I headed for, then it was straight up to the Deep Sea for some proper food..a puddin' supper!
By winter the floating pub had shut.
Photo by DC Thomson.Tints by GG.

2 comments:

  1. oh eh'm a bad laddie! on the first night this opened. me and a few mates who were well drunk decided that me climbing the mast and nicking the stella artios flag was a dead brilliant idea, and to my shame I've still got it. (EBAY ?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember it well shame it didn't last my mate got in a fight and kicked the guy into the water lucky the guy was alright

    ReplyDelete