Friday 28 November 2008

WATT'S IN THE WELLGATE

Watt's in the old Wellgate, was a shop that sold electrical goods and music items.
The advert displaying their TV service dates from the late 60's.
Like Larg's in the 60's, Watt's had a record counter as well as listening booths, and this is where I bought my first ever 7 inch single.
Pride of place goes to The Turtles with "She'd Rather Be With Me" and it cost 6/8d in old money (about 33p!). That was back in 1967 when I was 9 years old.
The lower image is a reminder of the shop's paper record bag.
As you can tell by the rubble in the picture above it, the photo was taken in the early 70's when the old Wellgate was being knocked down to make way for the present one.
The shop to the right of Watts is John Temple the gents tailors.

3 comments:

  1. I worked in the record dept in Watts in the late sixties. My boss was Cathy McCabe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might’ve served me a few times, bought , where do you go to my lovely , misuer DuPont, and blackberry way there late 60s

      Delete
  2. john temples the tailor next to watts
    my mate rab barrowman worked there. they had a manager (forgot his name), but if you lingered long enough outside he would sell you a suit.snow to eskimos etc

    ReplyDelete